We headed out Saturday morning to the train station and caught our first train to Epernay, about 2.5 hours away. Even though we had to contend with the weather all weekend (drizzly, but thankfully not too cold...just windy...my new umbrella broke day 2), the town of Epernay was still lovely and quaint. We wandered past Hotel de Ville upon arrival (which has to be one of the nicest town halls I've seen yet in France...it's in a park!) and fuelled up with a lunch of a giant camembert sandwich (and croque monsieurs for the gals).
| Hôtel de Ville - Epernay |
![]() |
| NOM! |
We then went to the tourist office to grab a map and some info and headed off down the "Avenue de Champagne", where all the big Champagne houses are situated.
The street is wide and glamorous, with huge ritzy mansions on large gated properties, one beside the other belonging to the various champagne producers, bearing their names proudly above entrances and on fancy golden plaques outside...and that's just a small handful of the many producers that exist! And of course, we had to stop and take pictures at the famous house of Moët et Chandon:
Our tour at Moët & Chandon wasn't until 4:30 and the weather wasn't exactly agreeable, so we ducked inside a nice looking house, a certain "A. Bergère".
The young sommelier, while well dressed, didn't really want to give 3 scruffy and damp girls carrying backpacks and broken umbrellas the time of day and was quite snobbish, however he answered our questions anyways and while he said they didn't necessarily do tastings (unless you bought a bottle), you could purchase a glass for 4 euros. Well, we showed him! After he explained the different champagnes, their flavours and his recommendations, we each ordered a different kind and tasted each others: one glass each of Sélection Brut (50% Chardonnay, 50% Pinot Noir); Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs (100% Chardonnay) and Tentation (70% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir), the latter turning out to be my favourite. It also happened to be the most expensive, being a "complex" flavour champagne. Go figure, I always pick the finest stuff! We had a lot of fun passing our glasses and tasting the differences, they were all very enjoyable!
![]() |
| Cheers to fine champagne! |
| so many bottles! |
After a thorough explanation of how grapes = champagne and everything in between, we ended off the tour with a glass of bubbly and a trip to the boutique.
![]() |
| glass #2 of the day |
![]() |
| little out of my price range... |
We headed to the main attraction in Reims (pronounced RANSE without pronouncing the "N" and making it very nasally), Cathedrale Notre Dame de Reims! Absolutely beautiful, and has been touched up a number of times after having been partially destroyed during various wars (like many French cathedrals.)
Since it was a Sunday and museums weren't open between 12-2, we headed to a nearby café to get some lunch and warm up. Before I could even enjoy my delicious homemade vegetable soup and café au lait I had ordered, I went to the washroom...and couldn't get out! Yes, I got locked in a public washroom in a nice restaurant. The lock would move, but the latch inside wasn't going back in the door. No matter what I did, that stupid door would not open. Thank god I brought my purse in with me and was able to call/text Rachel and Julia about a dozen times each (if there's one thing I've learned since living in France, it's always wise to have a supply of kleenex and hand sanitizer with you when you use the restroom...absence of TP and paper towel is unfortunately common). I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes, desperately hoping one of the girls would look at their phone, or at least realize I was gone for a really long time...I could only imagine what they were thinking I was doing...Just before I was about ready to start yelling for help to the next person that walked in, in came Julia with a parade of waiters behind her, one with a tool in hand to pry me out. Apparently she didn't even have to say anything to them, as soon as she got my text and came to help me, they followed her. And as they said, apologetically, I wasn't the first person this had happened to. I made a comment that maybe they should fix the lock (or, oh, I dunno, put a sign on the door? Am I way out in left field here?) but the waiter just shrugged. Oh the French...why am I always getting locked inside things?! First a mailroom, now a bathroom...bad things always come in threes, so I'm anxious to see what I'll get locked inside next...
After consuming my now luke-warm soup and coffee, we headed to the Palais de Tau beside the cathedral, the former Palace where French kings were coronated, and now houses relics from the French regal past, lots of gold chalices, tapestries, and original pieces of stonework from the cathedral that were too badly damaged to stay outside. We also checked out the Musée des Beaux Arts (yay free admission!) to admire some artwork, from religious to modern.
We had packed in a lot in a short amount of time, and we got to the train station in Reims to take our evening trains back home.
| putting my feet up for a relaxing ride home |
It was a fabulous weekend, we saw and did a lot and yet it wasn't exhausting in the least...a perfect weekend away!
And your probably wondering, did I buy any champagne? Well, for those of you back home who will see me at Christmas, it'll just have to be a surprise :)




Oh my, Britt! Always getting locked into things! Ahh!!
ReplyDeleteBut what a fun weekend! It sounds like it was great... and your CS hosts sounded awesome, too! YAY!