Exactly 4 months ago, I stepped foot in the country I knew I'd always come back to...and here I am, 4 months away from leaving it. (Kind of like that song "Stuck in the Middle with You"...although it reminds me more of that awful scene from Reservoir Dogs rather than my time here...)
Time has flown by but at the same time I feel as if I've been here forever, settled nicely into my daily life and routine while escaping on adventures now and then...I feel right at home. Which makes me apprehensive, I'm not sure if the next 4 months are going to drag by slowly or fly by quickly...likely the latter, (since time flies when you're having fun, as they say). With a week off this week (for "mock exams", ergo no classes for us...joy!), 5 weeks until our next 2 week vacation, then another 6 weeks of work after that, the time is nicely broken up into chunks which leaves you anxious and excited for the next bout of time off...which, expectantly, makes time go by all the more rapidly. When you always have something to look forward to, it comes and goes in a heartbeat. Take this week for example: even though I'm not teaching, I've got meetups with tandems, a desperately needed haircut, lunch with the English teachers, coffee with one of the English teachers, and dinner at yet another English teacher's. Then there's trapeze and dance class, and before you know it, it's the weekend - and Kerstin and I are taking off to Avignon and Montpellier for a few days to escape the (coming) cold front and to take advantage of the time off to explore new territory. Much to look forward to, and in a week, much to look back on. I'll be sitting here typing all about it and thinking how not so long ago I was writing this. *le sigh*.
Time is a funny thing, very evasive and cheeky. Grinds to a halt when you want it to speed up and flies by at 300 mph when you're trying to dig your heels to get it to sloooooow doooooown. Before you know it, another week has gone, then a month, then a year.
Hm, not quite sure where I was going with that. I suppose, no matter how slowly or quickly time goes by, all you can do is make the best of it, and try not to waste what precious little there is. "Profiter", as the French say, and take advantage of every moment. I think I've always tried to do that...otherwise, I wouldn't be here in this marvelous country, now would I? I may not have the best job in the world, be making next to nil crammed in my little apartment in a medium-sized city in the northeast of a very expensive country...but, I do know that I make the most of my time here and have enjoyed every minute. And in the end, that's all that matters.
Cheers, to the next 4 months! The road ahead is paved with many a new adventure...
No comments:
Post a Comment