I finally made it to my new home, Edinburgh, UK! After a relatively uneventful flight over (apart from one stopover in Iceland then another in Manchester...where they made us get off the plane, go through security, then get back on the SAME plane to go to Glasgow...and they lost my umbrella) I landed in Glasgow where Robyn and her parents kindly picked me up at the airport. I was so grateful after lugging my suitcases across an ocean!
I spent a few days with Robyn in her cute little apartment and had a great time catching up after 4 months of being separated by an ocean. She showed me all around the city and we went out for dinner and drinks with some of her friends from uni. It was a nice little mini-vacation and welcome to Scotland!
On Wednesday Robyn saw me off at the bus station as I took a bus to Edinburgh. I was so lucky to have my new roommate Lisa pick me up with her car. We went immediately to my new home, a little apartment close to the university. I met my other roommate, Nicola, who is also a postgrad @ Edinburgh, while Lisa is studying at Queen Margaret University outside the city.
The apartment is small and typical student-like, but has the necessary amenities and will do just fine for the year. I got settled a bit and then Lisa drove us all to IKEA to pick up some apartment necessities and things I would need and then to the grocery store. I was so grateful to them for doing that for me! It took a huge stress off my shoulders of having to find and buy everything myself. After our shopping trip the 3 of us went out for a lovely dinner (where I discovered that Nicola is a vegetarian too...hizzah!) and drinks at 2 very classy bars. It was a great evening and I enjoyed getting to know my new accommodation-sharers for the year. I think we'll get along brilliantly!
So we don't have internet set up yet, so the past 2 days I've been wandering all around this amazingly beautiful city trying to buy everything I'll need for the year. I've spent way too much so far, but when you're getting settled in a new country, it's not like you can bring the comforts of home with you. And at the same time I'm trying to fit into this new place. It's weird being in a different country that's supposed to be your new home - you're not a tourist, but you don't quite fit in either. I feel weird taking pictures. Plus I have only myself to explore with. Hopefully that will change in the coming weeks as I find other international students who want to get out there and discover what this city has to offer.
That's all for now - still kind of in Limbo and haven't fully realized that I'm here here, but, here I am anyways! (if that makes sense). I have a lot ahead of me in the coming weeks as I get orientated during Fresher's Week and as school starts. I still can't believe I'm a student again.
2 days down, 363 to go! Bring on the adventure...
YAY, EXCITING!!! I love Ikea!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd think of it this way: it's probably less awkward to take pictures now rather than later.