Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"The Deluge" (or, "A Long Overdue Post")

So I realize it's been awhile since I last posted...and believe me, no one feels guiltier about it than I do! I guess, the thing with blogs is, when you get to that point when life in a new place becomes a new normal, you don't feel as compelled to write about it. But then I forget that just because I'm living here and experiencing everything doesn't mean that everyone back home knows what's going on!

So, what have I been doing the past month?

Well, first and foremost, (and the whole reason I'm even here), SCHOOL. I can't believe my first semester has come to a conclusion. In a nutshell though, I have enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. Despite being overwhelmed by readings and work, it's been entirely worth it and I feel like I have significantly expanded my brain capacity. So now with classes over, I can focus on the part that really counts - FINALS. I've got 3 essays (a total of 20 pages of writing) to do for Semantics, Phonology and Scots & Scottish English plus one final written exam in Syntax (which I'm dreading). With the clock ticking down until my due date on the 20th, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. But I'm on top of it and feel optimistic that I'll round off my first semester successfully (and hopefully have some decent marks to prove it).

School aside, I was extremely fortunate to get a job as a research associate at the School of Informatics - Centre for Speech Technology Research. Along with 5 other students, I'm working for one of the researchers doing transcription work for a research project. It's nothing horribly exciting, but it's the PERFECT student job: it's on campus, I make my own hours and can work when I want, as much or as little as I want, and pays ridiculously well. Plus it's only a 5 month contract, and runs on "school" time, so it doesn't run into my weekends (unless I want it to), holidays, or into dissertation-writing time next semester. Pretty sweet deal, if I do say so myself!

And aside from my usual activities of linguistics and language lectures, dance classes twice a week and aerobics classes, I've also started my volunteer job as a French teacher at a primary school in a low-income suburb of Edinburgh. Through a program with the university, I was "hired", so to speak, to teach French once a fortnight for an hour to a P6 class of 9-11 year olds. The Scottish Government cut funding for a lot of language programs in the public system, leaving underprivileged kids with no opportunity to learn another language, putting them at a distinct disadvantage from their more privileged counterparts. I feel so fortunate to be able to share my love of the French language and culture with these kids, whom otherwise would never have the chance to develop a love for learning language. It's been super fun, and the kids are so enthusiastic and excited to learn. I have absolutely no desire to ever be an elementary school teacher, but I have to say I have really been enjoying it!

Two holidays have also passed by, one North American and one British: Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes Day! After having missed Hallowe'en last year, I was all too happy to be able to celebrate it this year (even if not quite to the same extent as back home). I even went to campus and class dressed up on Hallowe'en Monday, but I was definitely the only one.

having some flapper-style fun!


And what better way to enjoy Hallowe'en than playing a few "tricks"? Anny had the brilliant idea of dressing up as the puppet from the Saw movies, and I was all to happy to oblige to do her makeup. She then hid behind trees in the Meadows and attempted to scare people. It didn't work as well as we had hoped, but was pretty hilarious nonetheless:


scary...so, so scary

Then came the 5th of November (remember remember), and we climbed up Calton Hill to watch fireworks (or lack thereof), before setting off our own in the Meadows:







And finally, to add some excitement to my life, I'm going to SWEDEN!!!! That's right, for the first time since I arrived in the UK, I'm finally getting out! (at least for a bit). 3 friends and I leave this Friday for Stockholm for a whirlwind 2 day trip. Despite it being right smack dab in the middle of essays and exams, I think it'll be a welcome break, (plus the deal on the flight was too good to pass up). We'll be staying with Tuesday's friend, and will try to see as much of the city as we can within the confines of 6 hours of sunlight. I can't wait!

Stay tuned for my post, all about Sverige!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! How exciting! I'm so glad that your schooling is going so well and that you're having a good time. And you look awesome as a flapper!

    Enjoy Sweden... aw, man, I love Scandinavia! Can't wait to hear about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog