Tuesday, February 14, 2012

All you need is Love

We all know Valentine's Day has become really commercialized (and, often, rather cheesy), but this year, good old V-day really put into perspective what love is all about.

No I didn't get flowers or chocolates (or even a card...although I blame that one on the postal system, since I know one is coming!) I didn't go out for a romantic candlelit dinner. I didn't hug or kiss anyone (except via email/facebook).

I marched.

Today was the "Love Equally March" in Edinburgh. A peaceful protest to urge the Scottish Government to legalize same-sex marriage. Hundreds of people gathered at Edinburgh University, and armed with banners, signs and colourful attire, we marched through the city, down the Royal Mile to the Scottish Parliament. There was a huge turnout (apparently over a thousand), and the enthusiasm and vibe was infectious - it was loud and fun and it felt great to march down the middle of the road chanting in unison to fight for what is just.

At the parliament we were addressed by one of the MPs, reassuring probable victory in the near future as the debate was very much a hot issue in parliament. So far, it seems optimistic.

It still baffles me that a westernized country in the 21st century still clings onto such backward policies that are a clear infringement of human rights. They insist that everyone has equal rights yet they treat some of their own people as second-class citizens.

Today was about love - plain and simple. Denying people the right to legalize their commitment to the person they love isn't going to make them go away. I'm so proud to be from a country that believes in equal marriage, so for me, participating in today's march was a no-brainer. I may only be in this country temporarily, but people are people and love is love, no matter where you are. I was just happy I could do my part and support equality, human rights, and most of all - love.

Love is all you need

1 comment:

  1. Canada may be second place to the US in a lot of things (haha, I must let our rivalry continue), but DEFINITELY not in this!

    Way to go, Britt! Real progress happens when the people who are fighting for equality are the people who aren't necessarily directly affected by it... Equal rights for all... and I also like how you said that love doesn't stop just because there's a law against it. For real.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog