Friday, September 24, 2010

It doesn't get any more French than gourmet food...and strikes

Yesterday was another beautiful day, and I spent most of it running around the city doing various errands (and stopping to eat a very tasty éclair at one point). I looked into the local MJCs to see what they offered in the way of sports and activies. MJC Lillebonne, a mere 5 minute walk from where I live, offers a ton of different extra-curriculars so I think I might sign up for aerobics classes next week once I have my schedule (and it won't cost me an arm and a leg like a gym membership!) Unfortunately the yoga classes were all filled up so I looked into MJC Pichon which still has some openings, although it's a bit further away. Although apparently the school will pay for half of my bus pass, so that should make life a little easier! I also discovered that MJC Lillebonne offers trapeze classes!!! I think I might just try out a free class next week and explore my cirque-du-soleil side...They also have various art and music classes as well as cooking classes, Michelle and I might try out one of the Indian vegetarian classes...MJC Pichon also offers, yep CHOCOLATE DESSERT CLASSES!! Definitely going to get in on that...

I stopped in at l'Hotel de Ville to buy my Nancy Jeunes Culture Carte, which is a discount card for people under 26. For 5 euros it gives you free entrance into all the museums in the Nancy-Metz region as well as price reductions on all activities at the MJCs and discounts for concert and opera tickets, festivals, etc. etc. Why are things so much more accessible for youth in Europe? At least here they realize that you're actually poorer AFTER you graduate...

In the afternoon Michelle and I met up again for an ice cream (kiwi, this time) and a wander around the park. On the way back to Place Stan we noticed a large gathering of people with picket signs, and an even larger number of local police, gendarmerie and police vehicles. Time for a good old demonstration the French way! Essentially, the French Government is trying to change the minimum retirement age from 60 to 62. Naturally, people are very upset about this and as such have taken to the streets all across the country in protest, with many transit and union strikes along with it. Ah, you know you're in France when...This particular "manifestation" wasn't nearly as exciting as my rioting days in Toulouse, though we stuck around for a short while to take a few pictures before anything could turn ugly. Luckily, it never did.

Along with our first manifestation/strike of the year, Michelle and I decided it was high time we had a proper French meal. So around 7pm (restaurants don't open any earlier) we headed to the Vieille Ville (the old city) to walk down the "rue des gourmands", essentially a street made up entirely of restaurants, one after the other, on both sides. There are probably at least 20-25 of them. After looking at various menus (and ruling out a few...unfortunately, my choices in the French cuisine department can be quite limited...I have no idea how vegans survive here) we chose "Les Druides", a very small and cosy restaurant with about 5 outside tables. I had the best cheese fondue I've ever tried, which came with bread, potatoes, salad and fries with 3 kinds of dipping sauce. Oh, and of course, we thought it fitting to order a bottle of wine, a very nice 2007 André Doussas or something...whatever, it was white, and very good. It was all very logical, I mean, why pay 12 euros a glass when you can have the whole bottle for 18? Oh and our meals came with dessert...my Dame Blanche was melting faster than I could eat it, I was so full! (Dame Blanche is a very classy French "sundae", essentially vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. But all the good, natural stuff, not crap you'd find at a greasy spoon). By the end of the meal (and the end of the wine) we both sat there for a good 20 minutes trying to remember the word for "bill". We both felt a bit stupid when finally I had to flag down the waitress and use hand motions after saying "could we please have the....?" I'm going to blame the wine on that one...

We managed to actually get up after our meal and waddle back to Place Stan for some evening shots of the square all lit up. Poor Michelle had to walk all the way home (it was about 10:30 at this point) since the tram was still on strike.

Now I know why they always say it's not good to eat right before bedtime, I did not sleep well. I woke up around 2:30, very hot and very thirsty. But, it's not like I won't do it again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog